Thursday, September 9, 2010

Dollhouse Part 4

Here are some more pictures of the dollhouse. We're slowly making progress..

Here are the shingles that Amy did on the roof. This side, with the chimney was pretty hard. The other side was a bit easier. Fortunately we didn't have to cut all the shingles ourselves. We bought them all pre-cut, and just had to lay them out and glue them down. We're going to leave the shingles their natural color and just cover them with a clear coat.

In the attic, the paper was too short. There was about 2 inches in the back that wasn't covered. So I built these (nonfunctional) boxes to cover the bare patch. The Molly had a lot of fun helping me paint these boxes.
We choose to go with a half-timbered (Fachwerk) look on the outside. We started painting the white parts. Once there's enough layers of white for it to look right, then I'll put the brown strips of wood over the unpainted parts. Molly wanted to help paint, and I was pleasantly suprised. She was able to paint inside the lines and smooth out her thick patchs of paint. Not bad for a 3 year old! Most of the rooms are carpeted in fabric. Here's one of the rooms with the fabric carpet, wood wainscotting and the papered walls. The ladder up from the lower level has been glued into place. The carpet has some sawdust on it, which I'll have to vacuum up later.

Another of the rooms with the wainscotting and edging around the doors in place. The girls really like the bird on this paper.

This will be the kitchen. The floor is vinyl, and also only goes back 12 inches. So the back 2 inches are just painted. I'm thinking about painting black spots on it, but I think that might be a little too much. Most likely I'll just cover it with a Barbie kitchen set.

No comments: